Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Just Got a Little Sweeter


I have very fond childhood memories of making Christmas cookies with my mom and brother every year.  We always made sugar cookies with powdered sugar icing.  As a kid, I loved the whole process--from making the dough to rolling it out and cutting the cookies and then painstakingly decorating each one to make it the perfect Christmas cookie.  I vividly remember standing in the kitchen chairs (the same ones you see Isaac in) at our counter, raking through the big plastic bag of assorted cookie cutters.  The large Santa, Christmas tree, and candy cane were some of our favorites.  We used green and red icing to cover the cookies and a variety of sprinkles for decoration.  For me, it didn't feel like Christmas until those cookies were made.

I have carried on this ritual into adulthood, but over the last few years, I have been a little disappointed in the results.  The cookies just don't seem to turn out as beautiful as the ones in my childhood memories (I think my standards have changed a bit). So, this year I decided to step it up a notch.  I did a little research to learn how to decorate sugar cookies worthy of being presented as gifts.  My cookie decorating skills just got a lot more sophisticated!  I have blogger Annie to thank for a stellar lesson on the subject.  I had so much fun making these cookies and am quite pleased with the results!


Making these cookies was quite a process, especially between working on a new house and taking care of a sick baby.  I had to complete the numerous steps--make the dough, chill the dough, roll the dough, cut the dough, bake the dough--over multiple days.  And that was just the baking!  Decorating was another whole process but, again, so fun.  


Decorating Step 1:  Pipe an outline



Step 2:  Flood the cookie with the solid background icing
Step 3:  Add embellishment with more piping icing


 I look forward to fully sharing this tradition with Isaac.  I think next year he will be ready to wield a squirt bottle full of icing.  For now, he makes a good taste tester. 

Anticipation
By the way, the cookies are delicious.  :)

Sweet holidays to you!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed. And I love the picture of Issac after his first bite. So precious. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I am impressed! I would love a lesson from you someday...although I am not sure I have the patience.

    ReplyDelete