Thursday, February 21, 2013

House Chronicles: Tile Project

We completed our first real house project--a tiled front entryOriginally, there was about a 3.5' x 3.5' linoleum pad at the front door.  We replaced it with a 5' x 6' tiled area.  Really, I should say, Matt replaced it.  Good work Matthew!  I guess I did do my part by getting Isaac out of the house at critical times.  Anyway, we are very pleased with the results.

With this being our first legit remodel project, I was pretty excited to document every step (don't worry, I won't bore you with so many photos of all the projects).  Despite that, I did fail to get a good "before" picture.  Here's the best I have:


The Project
At first, Matt thought he would lay the tile and a fiber backer directly onto the sub floor.  He was quite discouraged when he realized the particle board sub floor needed to be removed.

He was even more discouraged when he began the process and learned how tedious it was.  The particle board had been heavily glued in place and crumbled into pieces when removed--there were no big chunks to be torn off. 

Step 1 completed.
Step 2:  cement board.

 Daddy's little helper was never far away.



We had 4 tiles that needed to be cut with perfection--we had no extra tiles in case of mistakes!

Pre-grout:  Seeing what it will look like with our soon-to-be wood floor (and toys).


No comments:

Post a Comment