Thursday, January 05, 2012

Twelve Hours Sleeping

cherishing a rare moment
For his first Christmas, Isaac gave us the best gift he could --  better sleep.  He's been a great night sleeper all along, but napping had become a huge challenge.  I worked diligently for at least two months--keeping a sleep log, spending countless hours rocking in his room during "nap" time, giving up walks for weeks trying to honor a nap schedule, hanging light-blocking curtains, engaging white noise--to force my son into being a good napper.  I was starting to get discouraged and wanted to give up, when Isaac suddenly decided he likes naps.  Maybe he knew mom was just about at wits' end.  For a couple of weeks now, I've been able to count on a good afternoon nap (in addition to his shorter morning nap), about 1.5 hrs.  Some days he surprises us with a real doozy.  In fact, as I write this, he's been asleep for more than 2.5 hours (I'm starting to worry). This is HUGE improvement for us!  The best Christmas gift we could have asked for.

Phew! 12 Days of Isaac, done.  It's been a fun project, but I can't say I'm sad to see it end.  Maybe I'll go sleep now.